Cell culture incubators, also known as carbon dioxide (CO2) incubators, are by far the largest group in terms of sales and applications. CO2 incubators support cell culture work in basic research and in the biotechnology industry where CO2 is used to control the pH of cell culture media and to provide a more lifelike environment in which cells can grow. Diagnostics and pharmaceutical firms also use these incubators to grow test cells
Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a CO2 Incubator
1. What measures have been taken in the design to avoid contamination and what features are included to remove (sterilize versus decon) contamination?
2. How does the CO2 sensor contribute to optimal cell growth?
3. How does the humidity contribute to optimal cell growth?
4. Ask for the uniformity and accuracy data versus asking for a water jacket or air jacket.
5. Do you need O2 control to simulate the environment for your experiment accurately?
6. Calculate the total cost of ownership on the product over one year including product price, install, regular cleaning labor, material like HEPA filter, etc.
Respondents to our latest incubators survey who are currently using a CO2 incubator are using the following types:
Components our readers are using with their CO2 incubators:
|Infrared O2 control||13%|
Top 10 factors/features our readers found most important in the buying decision-making process:
|Reliability of results/durability of product||98%|
|Service and support||97%|
|Ease of use||95%|
|Low maintenance/operating costs||95%|
|Safety and health features||92%|
|Audible and visible temperature alarms||91%|
|Availability of supplies and accessories||89%|
|Minimal temperature control||89%|
Recently Released CO2 Incubators
C and CB Series
• Includes efficient ANTI.PLENUM design with 180°C hot air sterilization
• Minimizes the risk of contamination, eliminates costly consumables and allows for an additional week of cell culture
• Features saturated relative humidity up to 95 % r. H
• Provides stable pH values thanks to drift-free CO2/O2 IR sensor technology
Incu-Shaker 10L Benchtop Flask Shaking Incubator
• Large 18 x 18”, up to 5 x 2L
• Exceptional temperature uniformity within 0.25°C
• Horizontally circular 19mm orbit for aeration & mixing
• Instantly change flask clamps with Benchmarks’ MAGic Clamp accessories
• 30 cubic foot unit features humidity control up to 95%
• Floor of unit is well-suited for roller bottle apparatus and high-volume tissue culture applications
• Maximizes laboratory space in a convenient floor model design
• Supplied with a gentle mechanical air convection
• Infrared system accurately controls CO2 levels and provides fast CO2 recovery
Sheldon Manufacturing (SHEL LAB)
• Provide the ideal environment for a wide range of culture applications
• Unique direct-heat, fanless design and standard IR CO2 sensor allows for optimal growth
• Offers optional 120°C disinfection cycle and three levels of O2 control
• New model S41i is the only CO2 incubator with a New Brunswick shaker inside to enhance growth of mammalian, insect or plant culture
New Brunswick Scientific
CO2 Incubator Manufacturers
|New Brunswick Scientific||www.nbsc.com|
|Thermo Fisher Scientific||www.thermoscientific.com|
|Torrey Pines Scientific||www.torreypinesscientific.com|
Like this article? Click here to subscribe to free newsletters from Lab Manager