Microplate handlers are specialized robotic devices that transfer microtiter plates in three-dimensional space from one location within a workflow to another. The “locations” are actually operations such as solvent addition (through liquid handling), aspiration, heating, shaking, incubation, washing, reading, and storage.
Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Microplate Handler
1. How many plates and plate types can the handler accommodate? An ANSI-compatible handler provides increased flexibility for those using multiple plate densities (ex. 96-, 384-, 1536-well) or low-volume plates, and interchangeable plate stacks accommodate varying throughput requirements.
2. What is the transfer speed? Transfer speed is especially important for increased throughput. Adding a dual plate carrier keeps two plates in process, thus further increasing assay efficiency.
3. Can the handler operate in portrait and landscape configurations? A rotational gripper option optimizes positioning of the microplate handler with its mating instrument, thus improving flexibility and efficient operation.
4. Does the handler fit into a hood or biosafety cabinet? Placing a microplate handler within a hood or biosafety cabinet allows users to maintain personal safety and protect samples.
5. Is the handler compatible with a wide variety of other instruments?
6. Does it come with a barcode reader for easy microplate identification? Barcode scanning is especially useful for increased throughput.
Main purposes our respondents are using their microplate handlers for in their labs, based on our latest survey says data:
|PCR setup and cleanup||21%|
|High-throughput drug screening||16%|
|Biomolecule concentration measurement||9%|
|In vitro fertilization (IVF)||2%|
|Stem cell research||2%|
The top 10 factors in our readers’ decisions to purchase a Microplate Handler:
|Important||Not Important||Don’t Know|
|Ease of use||92%||8%||0%|
|Performance of product||92%||5%||3%|
|Durability of product||89%||5%||5%|
|Low maintenance/ easy to clean||89%||8%||3%|
|Availability of supplies and accessories||87%||13%||0%|
|Service and support||85%||13%||3%|
|Total cost of ownership||84%||8%||8%|
|Easy integration with other products||79%||21%||0%|
Recently Released Microplate Handlers
BioStack3 LS Microplate Stacker
• Offers speedy plate transfer— less than 10 seconds between plate exchanges on the connected instrument’s carrier
• Compatible with BioTek’s microplate washers, dispensers, pipetting systems and detection systems
• Can be moved between instruments, should the stacking needs change
• User can choose from 10-, 30-, or 50- plate stacks to accommodate throughput requirements
MiniSeal Plus Heat Sealer
• Ensures high integrity sealing of deep well or even irregularlyshaped microplates
• Only requires plugging into a single electrical outlet to operate
• Does not need a compressed air supply to operate
• Offers adjustable temperature heat-sealing from 50C up to 200C
• Modular attachment can be integrated with all BMG LABTECH microplate readers
• Automatically loads, unloads, restacks, and continually feeds up to 50 microplates for great improvements in speed and automation
• Allows users to write their own scripts using the script mode
• Accommodates all types of microplate formats
Multi Stacker 400 (MS400)
• Contains four hotel stacks (25 or 50 plates each)
• Stacks are easily accessible
• Enables extended walk away time to liquid handlers, readers, washers, etc.
• Able to tend to two instruments with bidirectional gripper arm
Microplate Handler Manufacturer
|Caliper Life Sciences||www.caliperls.com|
|Phenix Research Products||www.phenixresearch.com|
|Thermo Fisher Scientific||www.thermoscientific.com|