Best practices dictate that pipettes undergo preventive maintenance and calibration at least once per year. Calibration involves dispensing set volumes of a liquid, usually water, into the weighing pan of a calibrated balance. Service personnel correct for temperature, humidity, and atmospheric pressure, and then compare the expected weight to the actual weight.
Top 5 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Pipette
1. What differentiates the pipette from others offered in terms of performance and ergonomics?
2. Is the product compatible with other manufacturers’ consumables (tips)?
3. What types of services are offered for this product? Calibration? Repair?
4. Does the company offer application support and technical phone support before and after product purchase?
5. What is the product life expectation? What is the product’s warranty period? If the company discontinues the product, for how many years do they provide accessories and parts for the instrument?
The most common errors our readers experience with their
pipettes, based on our latest survey, include:
|Viscosity reduces accuracy||16%|
|Liquids stick to tip||15%|
|Immersed tips carry over liquid||13%|
|Surface tension reduces accuracy||10%|
|Pipettes take up more liquid||7%|
The amount of time individual(s) in our readers’ labs spend per
day working with their pipettes:
|Less than 1 hour||29%|
|1 - 2 hours||29%|
|2 - 3 hours||17%|
|Over 3 hours||26%|
The type(s) of pipettes respondents are currently using or
planning to purchase in their labs:
|Using||Planning to Purchase|
|Manual: fixed volume||11%||2%|
|Electronic: fixed volume||1%||1%|
Recently Released Pipettes
• Features a selection dial for easy navigation between functions
• Includes user-friendly programming to change parameters quickly
• Also includes multifunctional rocker with simple “up is up and down is down” logic
• Boasts Eppendorf PhysioCare Concept: Optimal ergonomics and fatigue-free work: with lightweight design and ergonomic display
• Provides high reproducibility with spring-loaded tip cone
• Includes a five-year warranty
• Features a non-corrosive and non-greased ceramic plunger and abrasion-resistant nozzle tip
• Also includes improved O-rings rated at 600,000 aspirate/dispense cycles, and a solvent-resistant high-impact polymer body
• Constructed of UV resistant materials and is fully autoclavable at 121 C for 20 minutes
• Ergonomic design ensures optimal working posture and allows comfortable handling to ease the workload of laboratory professionals in long pipetting series
• Lightweight design and electronic tip ejection help protect users from repetitive strain injury
• New generation technology—electronic brake and the piston control system—guarantee optimal pipetting results
• Includes intuitive user interface
PIPETBOY Serological Pipette Controller
• Now with a 3-year warranty in celebration of the brand’s 30th anniversary
• Allows users to reproducibly pipette liquids from 0.1 to 100 ml
• Smart valve design and speed regulation enable accurate control of dosing from drop-by-drop to fast pipetting using just finger pressure on trigger controls
• Available in a large choice of colors
|Rainin Instrument Company||www.rainin.com|
|Wheaton Science Products||www.wheatonsci.com|