Top 4 Things You May Not Know About Homogenizers
1. New applications are being developed for the high-speed, high-performance class of bead beaters that use beads to impact the sample, including things like mixing suspensions, lotions, pastes, and dry-grinding solid materials.
2. For the mechanical approach, homogenization relies on a motor and a mixer called the generator probe. According to one expert, there were 316 stainless-steel probes that could be more easily cleaned or taken apart. After that came disposable plastic probes and then packs of reusable stainless-steel probes.
3. Higher throughput is a recent trend in homogenizers.
4. Another recent development is the use of single-use systems as sample sizes become increasingly smaller and volumes of processing samples increase. Single-use systems serve as an efficient solution for busy labs—reducing risks of cross-contamination and saving time by eliminating the need for sample storage transfers and cleaning.
Homogenizers come in two main categories. Lab-size homogenizers handle small volumes, from the microliter scale to several liters. Process homogenizers—for large-scale manufacturing—handle volumes of 50 or more liters. Within those categories, the kinds of homogenizers seem nearly as broad as the range of manufacturers. For example, some homogenizers use sonication to break up tissue and others use mechanical mechanisms. Users can also equip the same homogenizer with a range of rotor-stator elements, including ones made specifically for the homogenization of soft or more fibrous tissue.
For the Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Homogenizer, click here
Recently Released Homogenizers
T 65 Basic Ultra-Turrax Disperser
- Provides powerful dispersing for volumes from 2 - 50 l (H2O) for typical pilot plant stations
- Available in a digital version
- A fixed speed of 7200 rpm enables users to work at a high circumferential speed even with small rotor diameters
- Features three rotor-stator configurations
- Gives users reproducible operations due to
constant speed even with changes in viscosities
Digital Benchtop Homogenizers
- Can homogenize, emulsity, blend and/or mix
- Two models available:576 W 300DS series for volumes from .03ml to 5L and the 1305 W 400DS series for volumes from .03ml to 30L
- Feature a motorized PRO TRAC stand and 3-Turn speed knob to adjust RPM in the hundreds
- Also include a bright LED display and user-friendly controls
- Combines maximum power with a broad array of processing accessories
- Quickly grinds, lyses, and homogenizes biological samples with high processing power
- Provides an efficient, consistent, high-yield and quality homogenization usually in less than 40 seconds
- Can simultaneously homogenize multiple samples in either 2mL, 7mL, 35mL or 96-stripwell tubes
Bullet Blender Storm
- Breaks down 24 tissue samples simultaneously within minutes
- Comes standard with built-in Air Cooling™ Technology to keep samples cool during powerful homogenization
- Simple user interface and two settings—time and speed—allow scientists to multitask homogenizing soft cell types
- Prevents sample to sample cross contamination
- Comes with 2-year warranty; manufactured in the USA
|Sartorius BBI Systems||www.sartorius.com|
|Sonics & Materials||www.sonics.com|