Top 7 Things You May Not Know About Microwave Sample Prep
1. Laboratory microwave digestion systems were first introduced in 1986 at the Pittsburgh Conference in Atlantic City, NJ.
2. US Customs and Border Protection uses microwave digestion to prepare pistachios for analysis to determine their geographic origin.
3. Microwave digestion systems are used routinely for preparing consumer products, including children’s toys and jewelry, for metals analysis, such as lead and cadmium, to ensure kids’ safety.
4. The first commercial microwave sample preparation systems only used power and time parameters to control digestion conditions. Temperature and pressure control were introduced later.
5. The vent and reseal design of the first microwave digestion vessels only held pressures of 100 psi compared to the 1000 or more psi that many vessels today can withstand.
6. It took six years for the US Environmental Protection Agency to promulgate Method 3051 (digestion of sediments, soils, and sludges for metals analysis), which is the most popular microwave-assisted USEPA method.
7. Microwave-assisted extraction can be used to determine the presence of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in catfish.
For the Top 5 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Microwave Sample Prep System, click here.
Recently Released Microwave Sample Prep Systems
QLabPro Closed Vessel Microwave Digestion System
- Designed to provide versatility, safety, and productivity in closed vessel digestions
- Digests samples with precise dual temperature controls
- Especially suited for developing digestion methods for sensitive environmental and high organic content samples
- Includes multi-layered safety features, such as Q-Sens™ temperature and pressure sensor module and OPGuard™ pressure protection mechanism
Discover SP-X Sequential Microwave System
- Can help reduce your solvent usage by up to 95% and decrease extraction times from hours to minutes
- Quickly and efficiently performs solid-liquid solvent extractions on a wide variety of matrices including polymers, foods, and textiles
- Offers full temperature and pressure control of every sample and works with all solvents including polar and non-polar
Multiwave GO Microwave Digestion System
- Features an extremely lightweight rotor for 12 vessels providing SMART VENT technology
- Based on a DMC Directed Multimode Cavity–the new self-adjusting microwave field invented by Anton Paar
- Allows for highly efficient heating in an extremely small-footprint system
Ultrawave Microwave Digestion System
- Features Milestone’s unique SRC technology in a fully automated benchtop package
- Brings greater efficiency to microwave digestion, using disposable glass vials instead of traditional digestion vessels
- Reduces digestion acid volume, lowering digestion blanks
- Results in more complete digestions, and better analytical data quality for ICP-MS analysis
- Digests up to 15 samples—of any matrix—simultaneously
Microwave Sample Prep Product Manufacturers
Like this article? Click here to subscribe to free newsletters from Lab Manager