13 Questions to Ask When Buying a Microscope
- What type of microscope is most useful for analyzing your materials and applications?
- What’s within your budget?
- What’s the anticipated lifespan of the instrument and what are the reviews for it like?
- How adaptable is it for other applications or for accepting attachments?
- What level of compliance does it need to meet? ISO, cGMP? Is a qualification packet/validation (IQ-OQ-PQ) necessary? What degree of accuracy is necessary?
- What is the service/warranty package like and what does it cost?
- What type of samples will you be looking at? This will help determine the appropriate type of SEM.
- What is the finest resolution you want to achieve? Do you want to achieve finest resolution at low beam energy and possibly variable pressure conditions, or just at high vacuum and high beam energy?
- What is your budget? What is the expected total cost of ownership?
- What is the level of post-purchase field service available? Are there trained experts in your area who will be able to service your particular model?
- What ergonomic features are available?
- What consumables are required for the long-term operation of the SEM and how much do they cost?
- Is your laboratory physically appropriate in terms of vibration, electromagnetic fields, and acoustics to house the level of SEM you are considering?
How Are Your Microscopy and Imaging Staff Trained?
|On-the-Job Training by Fellow Worker||85%|
|Videos, Books, etc.||3%|
|Off-Site Imaging Courses||2%|
|Online Imaging Courses or Tutorials||2%|
Top 10 Features/Factors Respondents Look For When Purchasing a Microscope
|Performance of product||97%|
|Easy to maintain||94%|
|Price of microscope||93%|
|Ease of use||90%|
|Availability of supplies and accessories||84%|
|Low operating costs||83%|
|Total cost of ownership||81%|
|Service and support||73%|
Like this article? Click here to subscribe to free newsletters from Lab Manager