8 Questions to Ask When Buying a Pipette
- What key ergonomic features does the pipette have? How do the ergonomic features compare to other providers’ pipettes?
- What are the accuracy and precision specifications of the pipette and how were they determined?
- What types of services are offered for this product? Preventive maintenance? Calibration? Repair?
- Where was the pipette manufactured?
- Does the company offer programs to help improve the user’s pipetting technique?
- Does the company offer pipettes that can be used for volatile and viscous solutions as well as aqueous solutions?
- Does this pipette come in a range of volumes and, if so, what are the volumes?
- What types of pipettes does the company offer? Multi-channel, electronic, 96-well plate, or automated?
Our Readers’ Main Causes of Pipetting Errors:
|Liquids Stick to Tip||49%|
|Viscosity Reduces Accuracy||40%|
|Surface Tension Reduces Accuracy||27%|
|Immersed Tips Carry Over Liquid||25%|
|Pipettes Take Up More Liquid||18%|
Top 10 Features/Factors Respondents Look For When Purchasing a Pipette
|Consistent performance and accuracy of product||91%|
|Durability of product||78%|
|Availability of tips and accessories||73%|
|Low maintenance/easy to clean||59%|
|Designed to permit recalibration||57%|
|Service and support||47%|
Looking for a New Pipette?
Lab Manager’s Pipette Product Finder utilizes a query-based system to quickly narrow the field of available pipettes to those that specifically meet the requirements demanded by your application.
Like this article? Click here to subscribe to free newsletters from Lab Manager