8 Questions to Ask When Buying a Pipette
- What key ergonomic features does the pipette have? How do the ergonomic features compare to other providers’ pipettes?
- What are the accuracy and precision specifications of the pipette and how were they determined?
- What types of services are offered for this product? Preventive maintenance? Calibration? Repair?
- Where was the pipette manufactured?
- Does the company offer programs to help improve the user’s pipetting technique?
- Does the company offer pipettes that can be used for volatile and viscous solutions as well as aqueous solutions?
- Does this pipette come in a range of volumes and, if so, what are the volumes?
- What types of pipettes does the company offer? Multi-channel, electronic, 96-well plate, or automated?
Our Readers’ Main Causes of Pipetting Errors:
|Liquids Stick to Tip||49%|
|Viscosity Reduces Accuracy||40%|
|Surface Tension Reduces Accuracy||27%|
|Immersed Tips Carry Over Liquid||25%|
|Pipettes Take Up More Liquid||18%|
Top 10 Features/Factors Respondents Look For When Purchasing a Pipette
|Consistent performance and accuracy of product||91%|
|Durability of product||78%|
|Availability of tips and accessories||73%|
|Low maintenance/easy to clean||59%|
|Designed to permit recalibration||57%|
|Service and support||47%|
Looking for a New Pipette?
Lab Manager’s Pipette Product Finder utilizes a query-based system to quickly narrow the field of available pipettes to those that specifically meet the requirements demanded by your application.