13 Questions You Should Ask When Buying Sample Prep Products
- What is your sample matrix?
- What volume of sample do you need to extract?
- What are your target analyte(s)?
- What are your sample clean-up goals (high recovery vs. clean-up vs. speed)?
- What sample preparation format is best for your work (i.e., disks or cartridges)?
- What is your mode of analysis (LC/UV, LC/MS/MS, GC/FID, GC/MS, etc.)?
- How quickly can the system perform exhaustive extractions?
- Can the extraction system operate unattended overnight?
- Does the system change solvents and perform rinses automatically between samples?
- What methods does the extraction system comply with? (i.e., U.S. EPA, ISO etc.)
- How does solvent consumption compare to other systems?
- Can the system handle solid and semisolid samples, or are multiple systems needed?
- Can the solvent be reclaimed?
What Sample Preparation Techniques Do You Use?
|Liquid-Liquid Extraction (LLE)||15%|
|Solid Phase Extraction (SPE)||14%|
|Protein Precipitation (PPT)||7%|
|Solid Phase Micro Extraction (SPME)||4%|
|Immunoaffinity Extraction (IAE)||3%|
|Matrix Solid Phase Dispersion (MSPD)||2%|
|Supercritical Fluid Extraction (SFE)||2%|
Top 6 Features/Factors Respondents Look For in Sample Prep Techniques/Products
|Lower cost (less solvent, reagent consumption, etc…)||97%|
|Greater accuracy / improve quality of data||94%|
|Faster sample prep time (processing multiple samples)||85%|
|Greater recoveries–minimal sample transfer||50%|
|Easier data review||44%|
|Improved safety (reduced solvent/sample exposure and glassware)||39%|
Like this article? Click here to subscribe to free newsletters from Lab Manager