Burlington, Massachusetts, November 13, 2017 – MilliporeSigma today launched the new Stericup® Quick Release 500 mL vacuum filtration system, a filter bottle system ideally suited for sterile filtration of cell culture media, buffers, and reagents.
The Stericup® Quick Release system is the next generation of the original Stericup® Sterile Vacuum Filtration System, which has been a staple in labs around the world for decades. The improved liquid sterile filtration system offers ergonomic design updates that optimize user control and streamline the filtration process, while safeguarding results with the proven performance of Millipore® membranes.
“Life science researchers are under pressure to deliver innovative and reproducible results at an ever-increasing pace and with greater returns. Even seemingly routine processes like microfiltration must be reliable and consistent, because quality and reproducibility are critical to the cell culture process,” said Klaus Bischoff, head of research solutions at MilliporeSigma.
MilliporeSigma’s Stericup® Quick Release system not only mitigates inherent pain points experienced by scientists during sterile filtration, like concerns over maintaining sterility and spillage, but also streamlines the overall process while establishing a foundation for reliability, consistency, and confidence for steps downstream.
The Stericup® Quick Release combines a Steritop® filter unit with a re-designed Stericup® receiver bottle for storage of sterilized media, buffers, and other liquid, and is offered in sizes in the 150 to 1000mL volume range with multiple membrane materials and pore sizes ideal for the range of requirements. The Stericup® Quick Release system incorporates design enhancements that improve the user experience, including:
- The “Quick Release” filter funnel disconnects from the receiver bottle with just a quarter turn, reducing the likelihood of spillage and making it easier to manipulate on the bench or under the hood.
- A frosted, ample writing surface on the receiver bottle and lighter cap color facilitate clear labeling to improve legibility and reduce errors on critical notations.
- The click seal confidence cap is flanged and modified to enable a firm grip in wet or dry conditions, and a tactile stop confirms secure closure on sterilized contents, eliminating concerns of contamination or spillage.
- Bold Product identification on the Steritop® filter funnel plainly displays membrane characteristics, including composition and pore size, for rapid, application-appropriate filter selection.
- An easy-open feature provides a tab on every corner for safer handling.
- A peel-and-stick label on the sterile bag clearly denotes filter lot and part number. Researchers can simply peel and place the sticker in a lab notebook for accurate tracking and reference.
- Single-use design reduces the likelihood of inadvertent re-use by ensuring that media starts sterile and stays sterile.
While changes to MilliporeSigma’s Stericup® filter provide an enhanced user experience, the membranes inside the filter remain the same, ensuring reliable filtration and confidence in downstream analysis, assay development, and scientific reproducibility. Millipore® membranes are quality-tested and quality-validated for performance and provide reliable filtration with high flow rates, low protein binding and low fluid retention, minimal fouling, and assurance of sterility.