Maintaining samples at an optimal storage temperature is vital for many labs and makes choosing the right freezer or refrigerator a crucial task. Users need to demand accuracy, consistency, capabilities & reliability.
5 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Lab Refrigerator or Freezer
- How is the product manufactured? Ask about the quality of the materials used and the product life expectation based on manufacturing testing.
- What is the warranty? What does it include and for how long? Will anything void the warranty?
- How green is the product? Ask the company to provide details on energy efficiency and have them relate it to your return on investment (e.g. In 4 years will you save enough money in energy costs to pay for your freezer/fridge)?
- How much sample capacity are you getting for your space?
- What are the optimal voltage/ wiring conditions for running the fridge/freezer? If the building is older, will low voltage or voltage fluctuations affect the performance of the freezer/fridge?
|Top ten features/benefits our readers look for when purchasing refrigerators or freezers:|
|Reliability of product||100%|
|Durability of product||99%|
|Sensitivity and accuracy of temperature controls||95%|
|Reputation of vendor||94%|
|Service and support||90%|
|Audible and visual Hi/Lo alarm for each controller||86%|
|Types of refrigerators or freezers survey respondents are currently using:|
|Upright general purpose lab freezers||63%|
|Upright ultra-low temperature freezers||36%|
|Low temperature upright lab freezers||33%|
|Under-counter general purpose lab freezers||25%|
|Low temperature chest lab freezers||16%|
|Flammable materials storage||15%|
|Blood bank and plasma||14%|
|Chest ultra-low temperature freezers||14%|
|Type(s) of service used by respondents for repair/service of their refrigerators/freezers:|
|In-house service department||41%|
|Instrument manufacturer time/material||12%|
|Instrument manufacturer service contract||12%|
|Multi-vendor service provider||8%|
|Temperature ranges required by respondents currently using or planning to purchase fridges or freezers:|
|0° to -20°C||38%|
|-20° to -30°C||17%|
|-30° to -45°C||5%|
|-45° to -85°C||27%|
Completed Surveys: 221
For more information on fridges & freezers, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, click here.