High-performance/pressure liquid chromatography (HPLC) is, for many scientists, an essential chromatographic technique. HPLC systems used for the separation, identification, purification and quantification of various chemical and biochemical solutions are composed of a pump, a sample injector, a separation column, a detection unit, and a data-processor.
Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying an HPLC System
- How flexible is the system? Can the system be optimized to meet your laboratory requirements?
- What tubes, vessels, and vials can it accommodate? Can components (such as additional detectors, valves, etc.) be upgraded in the future?
- Is the software easy to use and operate? Can a demo version be put in place to get a feel for how the software functions for your laboratory’s workflow?
- How is the system (not just components) qualified during installation to meet manufacturer performance expectations?
- Who provides the support and service for the product? Is it the manufacturer or a third party service group? If it is a third party service group, are they factory-trained?
- Finally, ask about the total cost of the purchase—not just the price of the product being installed— but the total cost of ownership, which includes price, service expectations, warranty, etc.
Top ten features/factors survey respondents look for when buying an HPLC system:
|Precise and accurate flow rates||100%|
|Quality of data||100%|
|Availability of supplies and accessories||96%|
|Service and Support||91%|
Additional HPLC system components being used by respondents:
Services & schedules being used by respondents' labs for their HPLC instruments:
|As needed depending upon the condition of the instrument||54%|
|Routine instrument service||47%|
|Planned/scheduled according to time/date of last service||32%|
|Non-warranted instrument services||18%|
|Planned/scheduled according to the SOP||11%|
|Planned/scheduled accoring to usage/number of analyses||3%|
HPLC separation mode(s) being utilized by respondents:
|Size Exclusion (SEC)||21%|
|Ultra-high performance (UHPLC)||20%|
|Gel permeation (GPC)||12%|
|Gel filtration (GFC)||12%|
|Hydrophilic Interaction (HILIC)||9%|
Types of detector(s) being used by respondents:
|Mass Spectroscopy (MS)||33%|
|Refractive Index (RI)||32%|
|Light Scattering (LS)||16%|
For more information on HPLC systems, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/hplc-systems
Like this article? Click here to subscribe to free newsletters from Lab Manager