Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Fume Hood
- Can your lab go ductless? Ductless hoods are a viable solution for most routine laboratory applications.
- What is the hood constructed from and how is it constructed? Will the chemicals you use attack, degrade, or physically alter the material of the hood?
- What types of safety controls are included in the base cost of the unit?
- Has the manufacturer/distributor gone through a thorough application review process? Does the suggested filtration make sense?
- How hard is installation? Will there be a future/potential need to move the hood after initial installation? Should the hood be portable?
- What are the capital, installation and operational costs? From the lab manager’s perspective, capital costs are but a fraction of the overall budget.
Fume hood type(s) currently being used in readers’ labs:
|Benchtop ductless fume hood||13%|
|Canopy ducted fume hood||10%|
|Conventional ducted fume hood||36%|
|Laminar flow hood||25%|
|Portable ductless fume hood||5%|
|Variable air volume ducted fume hood||4%|
|Down flow workstation||6%|
Fume hood related components used by survey respondents:
|Base storage cabinet||22%|
|Fume extractor arms||5%|
|Transport support cart||3%|
Nearly 21% of respondents plan on purchasing a fume hood in the next year. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of aging fume hood||
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity||
|Setting up a new lab / developing a brand new method||
|Changing from a ducted fume hood to ductless fume hood||
|Changing from a ductless fume hood to a ducted fume hood||
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing a fume hood:
|Performance of product||97%|
|Safety and health features||97%|
|Durability of product||95%|
|Ease of use/Ergonomic operation||94%|
|Low maintenance/Easy to clean||91%|
|Value for price paid||88%|
|Low operating costs||86%|
|Service and support||79%|
|Availability of supplies and accessories||77%|
For more information on fume hoods, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/fume-hoods