Top 5 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a UV-VIS Spectrophotometer
- For what applications will you be using the instrument for? This will help you determine the detection range you require. Don’t forget to consider future applications that may require a broader range.
- What range of stray light performance are you comfortable with for your application and budget?
- Consider what sort of samples you’ll be working with in order to determine what absorbance range you will need in your UV-Vis spectrophotometer. For example, if it is a turbid or concentrated liquid or a solid sample that is optically thick, you may require a working absorbance range between 5 Å and 8 Å or higher.
- What level of throughput and reliability do you need?
- How much will the instrument cost? Don’t forget to factor in the cost of maintenance, etc. along with the cost of acquisition.
Types of UV-VIS spectrophotometers used by survey respondents:
Top 10 spectrophotometer uses according to survey respondents:
|Biochemistry and biology||23%|
|Color / dyes||12%|
|Drug discovery research||8%|
|Biomarker & omics research||5%|
Nearly 55% of respondents are engaged in purchasing a new UV-Vis spectrophotometer. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of an older spectrophotometer||
|Addition to existing systems||
|Need an instrument that provides faster acquisition and analysis of data||
|Need an instrument that provides excellent reproducibility||
|Need an instrument that has a broad range of accessories||
|Need an instrument that is simple to operate and maintain||
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing a UV-VIS spectrophotometer:
|Better Sensitivity and Resolution||65%|
|Ease of Maintenance/Low Operating Costs||64%|
|Service/Support in General||42%|
|Faster Acquisition and Analysis of Data||39%|
For more information on UV-VIS spectrophotometers, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/spectrophotometers
Like this article? Click here to subscribe to free newsletters from Lab Manager