Top 5 Questions You Should Ask When Buying PCR Equipment
- Consider the type of equipment you need, whether it be standard PCR, quantitative real-time PCR (qPCR), or digital PCR.
- What sample formats do you require? While most users run their reactions in a 96-well format with 0.2 mL tubes, other formats are available.
- Consider the ramp temperature and time. Ideally, you want a system with fast temperature ramp up/cool down time, and with low error.
- How many users will be using the system? Systems which can run two independent PCRs at the same time might be desirable for labs with multiple users.
- Consider your throughput requirements. For high throughput applications, systems that can accommodate larger plate formats, or that have integrated automation and robotics may be desirable.
Types of PCR systems used by survey respondents:
|Real-time PCR / qPCR||71%|
PCR applications as reported by survey respondents:
|Copy number analysis||16%|
Nearly 54% of respondents are engaged in purchasing a new PCR system. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of an aging system||
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity||
|Setting up a new lab||
|New application requiring different instrument||
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing a PCR system:
|User-friendly controls/software interface||66%|
|Ease of use||65%|
|Service and support||63%|
|Linear dynamic range||46%|
|Ease of installation||43%|
For more information on laboratory equipment, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/lab-products