Top 9 Questions You Should Ask When Buying Electrophoresis Equipment and Supplies
- How many gels per experiment can you run at once in a single electrophoresis cell?
- Can you run hand cast and precast gels with the same electrophoresis equipment?
- Can you blot in the same tank as you run the gels?
- How fast can you run a set of gels with optimal performance?
- How fast can you visualize your proteins in the gel?
- Do you need any special buffers or sample buffer to run your gel?
- Does a precast gel give you the same separation as a hand cast gel?
- How fast can you transfer proteins from your gel to a membrane?
- How efficiently can you transfer your high molecular weight proteins from your gel to a membrane?
Types of electrophoresis systems used by survey respondents:
|Horizontal electrophoresis system||76%|
|Vertical electrophoresis system||70%|
|Electrophoretic blotting system||49%|
Electrophoresis components being used by survey respondents:
|Reagents: gel staining chemicals, premade gel or gel chemicals, buffers, etc.||90%|
|Electrophoresis gel apparatus||85%|
|Digital camera/gel documentation systems||69%|
|White light/UV light box||60%|
|General lab equipment: pH meter, pipettors, scale, stir plates, etc.||79%|
Nearly 41% of respondents are engaged in purchasing new electrophoresis equipment. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of an aging system||
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity||
|Setting up a new lab||
|First time purchase||
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing electrophoresis equipment:
|Ease of use||80%|
|Durability of product||77%|
|Low operating costs||70%|
|Availability of supplies and accessories||65%|
|Fast time to results||61%|
|Low maintenance/easy to clean||61%|
|Many separation options with high precision, accuracy, and robustness||61%|
|Safety and health features||53%|
|Low operating costs||51%|
For more information on electrophoresis, visit www.labmanager.com/electrophoresis