Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy, a subset of infrared (IR) spectroscopy, uses a mathematical algorithm, Fourier transform, to translate raw infrared data into a spectrum.
Top 5 Questions You Should Ask When Buying an FTIR Spectrophotometer
- What applications are you using FTIR for? This will determine what type of FTIR spectrophotometer will be the best fit for you. For example, if you will be conducting most work outside the lab, a portable instrument is likely a good fit. FTIR microscopy may also be an option you’ll want to consider, depending on what type of research you do.
- What sort of environment will you be working in? If you are out in the field, in a humid area for example, the instrument should be tough enough to handle the conditions.
- Who will be using the instrument? If non-experts will be the main users, it makes sense to go for a user-friendly instrument that won’t take too much time to learn to use. The complexity of the software is also important to consider.
- What accessories are available for the instrument and how wide is their range?
- As with most instruments, you should ask what sort of service and support the company provides for the FTIR spectrophotometer, and its cost in terms of acquisition, running the FTIR, and maintaining the instrument.
Sampling techniques for FTIR as reported by survey respondents:
|Attenuated Total Reflection||68%|
Frequency of FTIR usage by survey respondents:
|Several times daily||36%|
|Several times each week||36%|
|Two to three times a month||23%|
|Less than once a month||6%|
Nearly 41% of respondents are engaged in purchasing a new FTIR spectrophotometer. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of an aging system||
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity||
|First time purchase||
|Setting up a new lab||
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing an FTIR spectrophotometer:
|Better sensitivity and resolution||68%|
|Durability / Rugged design||54%|
|Faster acquisition and data analysis||53%|
|Wide range of accessories||35%|
For more information on FTIR, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/FTIR