In many laboratories, gas generators are quickly replacing traditional tanks, offering greater flexibility, convenience, safety, and cost-effectiveness. Gas generators offer the ability to produce on-demand supply and specialty blends of highly pure gases for various applications.
Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Gas Generator
- What is your application? As the range of available gas generators continues to expand, consider what it will be used for. For example, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy operates best in the absence of carbon dioxide so users will require a generator that creates CO2 -free gas.
- Do you require high quality gas? In many cases gas generators can produce a superior product both in purity and consistency without the risk of contamination during gas-line changing.
- What volume of gas do you require? Many instruments now require higher volumes of gas. If your space is small, or you expect your needs to increase over time, you may wish to consider a gas generator which will take up much less space than storing tanks of gas.
- Are long-term cost savings important to your project? Beyond convenience, gas generators save on shipping costs, time-related costs for changing tanks, and managerial costs for managing the safety and supply of tanks.
- Is noise a factor in your lab? Noise can be both bothersome and present a real health concern for those exposed. If low-noise is desirable, consider a gas generator with detachable or low-noise compressors.
- What sorts of service agreements are available? Is training in self-maintenance sufficient, or are service representatives available?
Gas generator types used by survey respondents:
Applications using laboratory gas generators as reported by survey respondents:
|Gas chromatography with flame ionization detection||62%|
|Gas chromatography with mass spectrometric detection||31%|
|High-performance liquid chromatography||28%|
|Inductively coupled plasma systems||12%|
|Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy||9%|
|Nuclear resonance spectroscopy||6%|
Nearly 37% of respondents are engaged in purchasing a new gas generator. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Upgrading old system||
|Cheaper than gas cylinders||
|Starting a new lab process||
|Switching from helium to hydrogen||
Top 10 Features/Factors Respondents Look for When Purchasing a Gas Generator:
|Low maintenance/easy to clean||74%|
|Low operating costs||72%|
|Performance of product||71%|
|Total cost of ownership||65%|
|Value for price paid||61%|
|Availability of supplies and accessories||60%|
|Safety and health features||60%|
|Service and support||52%|
For more information on gas generators, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/gas-generators
See the most recent survey results: