Water is the most commonly used laboratory reagent; however, the importance of water quality is often overlooked. Because impurities can be a critical factor in many research experiments, water purity ranks high in importance. There are several types of impurities and contaminants in water such as particulates, organics, inorganics, microorganisms, and pyrogens that can adversely affect results.
Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Water Purification System
- What is your application and what type of water is needed? Type I, II, or III? Will you require ultra-low TOC lab water?
- What is your expected volume usage? How much is required per batch/day?
- What is the source of your current water? Are there special requirements for delivery?
- What is your budget? (This will determine the technology). What is the cost of ownership over five years?
- Where do you need the system in the lab(s)? Consider: top of counter, under counter or wall mounting the unit. What is the overall footprint/real estate of the system(s) and components?
- What kind of warranty and service is provided? Is the system manufactured to quality standards and which ones? Is this a pharmaceutical application that needs to be validated?
ASTM standard water purity used by survey respondents:
|ASTM Type I||61%|
|ASTM Type II||26%|
|ASTM Type III||9%|
Water purification system components used by survey respondents:
|Water quality monitor||56%|
Nearly 51% of respondents are engaged in purchasing a new water purification system. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of an aging system||
|Upgrading existing equipment||
|Setting up a new lab||
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity||
|First time purchase||
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing a water purification system:
|Performance of product||77%|
|Durability of product||77%|
|Low maintenance / easy to clean||74%|
|Ease of use||74%|
|Availability of supplies and accessories||73%|
|Value for price paid||71%|
|Low operating costs||64%|
|Service and support||64%|
|Total cost of ownership||60%|
For more information on water purification systems, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/water-purification
See previous survey results:
Like this article? Click here to subscribe to free newsletters from Lab Manager