The UPC2/MS FFA analysis described provides a simple and fast method with a significant reduction in analysis time compared to alternative techniques such as GC/MS, which requires FAME derivatization. In addition, the organic layer extract containing the lipids can be injected directly into the system, omitting the need for solvent exchange for compatibility with reversed-phase LC methods.
- Demonstrates the separation of free fatty acid (FFA) species based on chain length and number of double bonds
- No derivatization is required, which results in easier and fast sample preparation and eliminates artifact formation
- Organic phase lipid extract can be directly injected onto the system, saving time and reducing cost per analysis
- Less than three-minute chromatographic separation is up to 10X faster compared to GC/MS
- Unlike GC/MS, low volatile and very long chain fatty acids (>24 carbon atoms) can be easily analyzed with UPC2
Get the full application note here.