Leading laboratories can be challenging when you are present in the lab every day. It becomes even more challenging when you try to lead labs or projects remotely. As leaders, we need to make extra efforts and use the tools available to make effective connections to people with whom we don’t see in person every day.
Some aspects of remote leadership that leaders can focus on include:
- Taking the time and energy to build human relationships
- Recognizing the difficulties of effective communication during teleconferences
- Ensuring that the online meetings and interactions matters
- Using tools that can help
- Inspecting for lab safety
- Creating opportunities for "accidental conversations"
- Utilizing knowledge management