Top 5 Things You May Not Know About Laboratory Cold Storage
1. One third, or 150, of the world’s largest collection of donated brains for autism research was ruined due to a freezer failure at the Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center in late May 2012. Alarms meant to go off to signal rising temperatures did not sound and by the time an official checked on the brains, they had already decayed.
2. The New York Blood Center lead by the Howard and Abby Milstein Foundation is the largest blood center in the world, aside from the Red Cross, delivering a safe blood supply to about 20 million people and 200 hospitals.
3. In the 11th century, the refrigerated coil, which was able to condense aromatic vapors, was invented by the Persian scientist Ibn Sina (Avicenna). He used refrigerated tubing to distill essential oils.
4. Artificial refrigeration was demonstrated for the first time by William Cullen of Glasgow University, UK in 1748.
5. The first refrigeration machine based on vapor rather than liquid was invented by Oliver Evans in 1805.
To see the Top 5 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Lab Refrigerator/Freezer and the Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Low Temperature Freezer, click here.
Need more help in finding the right lab freezer for you? Check out our Laboratory Freezers Product Finder.
Recently Released Cold Storage Products
Twin Guard Ultralow Freezer
- Designed for -86°C storage of high-value biological samples
- Two independent compressor systems, combined with optional liquid nitrogen or liquid CO2 back-up systems, protect precious samples in the unlikely event of one compressor’s failure
- Built with a vacuum insulation panel to ensure temperature uniformity and can be set to run in an energy saving mode
PHC Corporation of North America
TwinCore Ultralow Freezer
- Designed for -86°C storage of high-value samples
- Employs two optimized autocascade compressors but only requires one compressor to hold temperature up to -86°C
- Features an advanced 7’’ LCD touchscreen control panel, inventory management system, and each unit is assigned an IP address for monitoring functions by the Z-Sc1 WIZBOX network or user’s in house system
- Does not require a CO2 backup
UFV 500/700 Series Ultralow Freezers
- Provide reliable and safe operation sample protection
- Include motorized automatic door lock and optional RFID for user-friendly operation
- Feature quiet operation of only 49 dB
- Offer low energy consumption with water cooling option
- Data logger replaces paper chart recorders
- Also includes a high storage capacity, communication integration with security and alarm, and stability with adjustable feet and casters
TechFlex Transfer Hoses
- Vacuum jacketed hoses provide a maintenance-free, durable, frost-free cryogenic method to transfer cryogen liquids
- Lightweight inner flex reduces cooldown losses
- Higher quality liquid and faster liquid cryogen delivery improves equipment efficiency
- Design eliminates hazardous ice and dripping water, increasing safety
- Insulated hose is safe to touch, even with -196°C (-320°F) liquid nitrogen or -269°C (-452°F) liquid helium
Cold Storage Product Manufacturers
|Baker BioScience Solutions||www.bakerbio.com|
|PHC Corporation of North America||www.phchd.com|
|Thermo Fisher Scientific||www.thermoscientific.com|