ELNs are not the hub for capturing every piece of laboratory data. There will always be a need for LIMS, SDMS and other informatics repositories that are specifically designed to handle structured or unstructured information. ELNs are, however,
ELNs are not the hub for capturing every piece of laboratory data. There will always be a need for LIMS, SDMS and other informatics repositories that are specifically designed to handle structured or unstructured information. ELNs are, however, leading the way into a new era of converging functionalities.
Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying an ELN
1. How local are resources and how available are resources for deployment, training and extensions? What is the timeline for availability and cost?
2. How easy is it to extend the application? Does it require IT or super users? How long does training take to make modifications and how extensive is the API for modifications?
3. How easy is it to get data back out of the system? Is all information indexed and searchable? Can users query and combine data from multiple experiments, not just return a list of experiments?
4. What is the typical number of hours of admin time required to upgrade for a major release and a minor release?
5. What level of support is offered? How many support staff are there, where are they located and what language do they support? How is the support rated by other customers?
6. Is your IP system safe in their system? What is the chance the company will be around in five years? What is the chance that the company will switch technologies and force an expensive migration? What credibility does the company have in the past for delivering robust, scalable, secure and 21cfrPart 11 compliant systems?
Respondents’ primary reasons for purchasing ELNs for their lab, according to our latest survey:
|Accelerate the documentation and reporting of experiments||23%|
|Infrastructure to capture, access and share information about experiments||21%|
|Increase capacity to existing systems||15%|
|Centralize data repositories||9%|
|Setting up a new lab||8%|
| Enable scientists to collaborate effectively on multistage |
projects and across geographic boundaries
|Improve communication between instruments and related software||5%|
|Streamline regulatory compliance||5%|
|Enable web-based access to information||4%|
ELN use in our readers’ labs:
|Respondents who use ELNs in their labs||10%|
|Respondents who are planning to purchase an ELN for their labs||36%|
|Readers who do not use ELNS and do not plan to purchase||55%|
Biggest challenges respondents expect to face with the purchase of an ELN:
|Staff adoption and training||33%|
|Data migration into the new system||14%|
|Integration with other systems||13%|
|Investing in software that will become obsolete||9%|
|Gaining user buy-in||8%|
Recently Released ELNs
• Adds new advanced data management, analytics, calculations and visualization
• Enables scientists to rapidly document, process and examine data in the context of their study, experiment and sample workflows
• Multi-dimensional spreadsheet capabilities enable scientists to use familiar environments to capture the data
• Advanced scientific calculations and interactive visualization allows scientists to manipulate data within the ELN
• Allows users to tightly control the sequence of tasks in their labs
• Can be integrated with users’ SDMS to ensure that standard operating procedures are followed
• Eliminates paper notebooks
• Record all required data in electronic format from the first moment it is created
• Streamlines data storage and retrieval
• Links organizations’ analytical laboratory data systems to their business information technology systems
• Features LE Technology, a documentation and workflow solution that guides a laboratory analyst through routine standard operating procedures
• Using NuGenesis Electronic Laboratory Notebook (ELN), allows laboratories to track, assign, and manage samples, tests, and results
CONNECTS Suite Paperless Lab Software
• Delivers improved access to real-time information, regulatory compliance and data integrity
• Integrates disparate sources of data, including laboratory systems like LIMS, ELNs, CDS, DMS and all related instrumentation; enterprise systems such as MES, PIMS and ERP; and communications tools
• Saves time and money by automating processes and reducing manual data manipulation
Thermo Fisher Scientific
| Thermo Scientific |