LIVERMORE, Calif.— Nearly 1,500 of the world’s foremost fuels and combustion scientists and engineers will gather in San Francisco on Aug. 3-8 for the 35th International Symposium on Combustion, a biennial event sponsored by the Combustion Institute and with Sandia National Laboratories leading the local organization this year. The symposium will examine issues related to climate change, fuel efficiency, biofuels integration with combustion engines and other topics.
In addition to a keynote presentation from Elaine Oran of the University of Maryland’s Department of Aerospace Engineering and four invited plenary talks, 435 oral presentations and 690 posters will be presented describing cutting-edge fundamental and applied combustion research. Oran’s research includes work on chemically reactive flows, turbulence, numerical analysis, high-performance computing and parallel architectures, shocks and shock interactions, rarefied gases and microfluidics.
Sandia is home of the Combustion Research Facility (CRF) in Livermore, California. CRF researchers at the event will offer oral presentations on topics ranging from fundamental research in laser diagnostics, coal and oxyfuel combustion, chemical kinetics, laminar and turbulent flames and spray combustion to applied research in piston engines and emissions.
Other topics will include:
- The accelerated development of next-generation biofuels and their efficient, clean utilization in cars and trucks
- Current and promising technical approaches for increasing fuel efficiency in vehicles
- Nanomaterials production in combustion and its value in commercial products
- Use of the world’s largest supercomputers to compute flames and turbulent mixing processes at nearly-molecular resolutions
- Oxy-fuel combustion for the capture of carbon dioxide, a technology aimed at combatting global warming
- Use of “smart” laser sensors for monitoring combustion, propulsion and industrial processes
What: 35th International Symposium on Combustion
Who: Nearly 1,500 of the world’s leading combustion engineers, scientists and researchers
When: Sunday, Aug. 3-Friday, Aug. 8, 2014
Where: Hyatt Regency Embarcadero, San Francisco, California
Like this article? Click here to subscribe to free newsletters from Lab Manager