A Boise State University lab instructor was wounded at about 2 p.m. Saturday, February 28th, when 500 ml of nitric acid spilled onto his wrist, forearm, thigh and knee, according to a police spokeswoman.
When firefighters arrived at the third-floor chemistry lab in the multipurpose classroom building on the west side of campus, the instructor had already begun using sodium bicarbonate to neutralize the chemical. He was taken to Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center for burn treatment.
About 60 people, including two uninjured lab students, were evacuated as the building was checked and the spill cleaned up. The incident didn't affect classes or other activities on campus.
Nitric acid is a transparent, fuming corrosive liquid used in producing fertilizers, explosives and rocket fuels.
Source: Idaho Statesman