Laboratory cold storage solutions such as freezers, refrigerators, and cryogenics are critical to keeping valuable reagents and priceless samples safe. With sustainability becoming more important for many labs, energy efficiency is an important factor to consider when buying these products. Reliability is also a must-have, given the importance of the materials stored in most cold storage units. For a list of laboratory cold storage manufacturers, see our online directory: LabManager.com/coldstorage-manufacturers
6 Questions to Ask When Buying Cold Storage Solutions:
- How accurate and stable is the temperature inside the cold storage solution?
- What storage capacity will you need now and in the future?
- What features are available to improve the energy efficiency of the equipment?
- What back-ups are available in case of power failure?
- How long does it take for the temperature to recover after a door opening?
- What remote monitoring features are available with the unit?
The Big Picture
Given the need for some COVID-19 vaccines to be stored at ultralow temperatures, these units are now in high demand. Whether you’re a first-time ULT freezer owner or a regular user looking to replace your existing unit, this web series aims to provide everything you need to know about ultralow cold storage for the lab. LabManager.com/PRG-2022-cold-storage
Given the importance of their contents, security is a key consideration when setting up cold storage units in the lab. According to one expert, security is more than who has physical access to the freezers, fridges, or other cold storage units in the facility, but also refers to protecting the equipment in terms of remote monitoring and operational settings. Today’s cold storage solutions have numerous options to ensure that only authorized staff can access the contents and control of these cold storage units.