6 Questions to Ask When Buying Informatics Systems
Laboratory informatics can be used to manage inventory, keep track of maintenance schedules, maintain staff training records, monitor instrument status, and store valuable experimental data. Many companies offer easy-to-use out-of-the-box solutions in addition to custom software, so you have the exact capabilities you need.
- What functions do you need from your informatics solutions?
- Will an out-of-the-box solution work for you or do you need something more tailored?
- Can the vendor work with you to configure the software to fit your exact needs?
- Can the software be scaled up as your needs grow?
- Will the software integrate with the instruments in your lab or software already in use?
- What support and training are available from the vendor?
Laboratory informatics can help eliminate nonvalue-added activities like paperwork. Download this resource guide for additional questions to ask before buying laboratory informatics systems and advice on how to integrate laboratory information management systems into modern labs.
In order to take full advantage of informatics solutions, staff need to be educated and trained on how to use them properly. Managers will also need to use change management strategies to encourage the use of new software. Choosing solutions that are easy to use and that suit your staff’s needs will also encourage them to adopt new workflows.