High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) is, for many scientists, an essential chromatographic technique. HPLC systems used for the separation, identification, purification, and quantification of various chemical and biochemical solutions are composed of a pump, a sample injector, a separation column, a detection unit, and a data-processor
Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying an HPLC System
- How flexible is the system? Can the system be optimized to meet your laboratory requirements?
- What tubes, vessels, and vials can it accommodate? Can components (such as additional detectors, valves, etc.) be upgraded in the future?
- Is the software easy to use and operate? Can a demo version be put in place to get a feel for how the software functions for your laboratory’s workflow?
- How is the system (not just components) qualified during installation to meet manufacturer performance expectations?
- Who provides the support and service for the product? Is it the manufacturer or a third party service group? If it is a third party service group, are they factory-trained?
- Finally, ask about the total cost of the purchase—not just the price of the product being installed—but the total cost of ownership, which includes price, service expectations, warranty, etc.
Types of HPLC systems used by survey respondents:
HPLC separation modes utilized by survey respondents:
|Ultra-High performance (UHPLC)||25%|
|Size Exclusion (SEC)||22%|
|Hydrophilic Interaction (HILIC)||19%|
|Gel Permeation (GPC)||10%|
|Gel Filtration (GFC)||4%|
Nearly 49% of respondents are engaged in purchasing a new HPLC system. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of an aging system||
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity||
|Setting up a new lab||
|First time purchase||
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing an HPLC system:
|Quality of data||87%|
|Precise and accurate flow rates||69%|
|Availability of supplies and accessories||62%|
|Service and support||54%|
For more information on HPLC systems, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/HPLC-systems
Like this article? Click here to subscribe to free newsletters from Lab Manager