Microplate readers are widely used in research, drug discovery, bioassay validation, QC, and manufacturing processes for the detection of biological, chemical, or physical processes in samples contained in microtiter plates.
Types of microplate readers currently used by survey respondents:
Top 5 microplate reader applications reported by respondents:
|Biomolecule Concentration Measurement||12%|
Over 25% of respondents currently using a microplate reader plan on purchasing a new microplate reader in the next year for the following reasons:
|New application requiring a different type of reader|
|Setting up a new lab|
|Replacement of an aging microplate reader|
|Addition to existing system; increase capacity|
Top 8 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Microplate Reader
1. How many read modes are offered? Multiple read modes offer greater flexibility and value than single read modes.
2. What kind of detection technology is used? Monochromator-based detection offers flexibility, convenience and spectral scanning; while filter-based detection is characterized by precise sensitivity and may often switch rapidly between distinct wavelengths for kinetic assays. Hybrid detection systems combine both technologies for the utmost in flexibility and sensitivity.
3. Is it upgradeable? If so, can the upgrade be installed on-site? On-site installations reduce overall downtime, and often the technician is available to answer questions or conduct training.
4. Is the reader automatable? Automating the process with a compatible microplate stacker
5. Ask about the software—is it integrated and user-friendly? Does it allow for pre-programmed and custom protocols? What kind of analysis is offered? How is data exported?
6. Is on-site training available? Is there a fee? On-site training provides an opportunity for all staff to learn about the reader, reducing the number of subsequent trainings needed.
7. What options are available? Options such as gas control, barcode scanning, shaking, and injecting increase assay flexibility for those that need these features.
8. What assay validation data is available for the reader? Assay validation data specific for the reader provides proof that the reader performs as indicated.
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing a microplate reader:
For more information on microplate readers, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/microplate-tech