2014 UV-Vis Spectrophotometer Survey Results
Ultraviolet-visible (UV-Vis) spectrophotometry is arguably the most common as well as one of the oldest forms of absorption-based analysis. UV and visible regions of the electromagnetic spectrum are contiguous: UV wavelengths range from 10 to 4000 angstroms; they are visible from 4000 to 7000 angstroms.
Top 5 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a UV-VIS Spectrophotometer
- For what applications will you be using the instrument for? This will help you determine the detection range you require. Don’t forget to consider future applications that may require a broader range.
- What range of stray light performance are you comfortable with for your application and budget?
- Consider what sort of samples you’ll be working with in order to determine what absorbance range you will need in your UV-Vis spectrophotometer. For example, if it is a turbid or concentrated liquid or a solid sample that is optically thick, you may require a working absorbance range between 5 Å and 8 Å or higher.
- What level of throughput and reliability do you need?
- How much will the instrument cost? Don’t forget to factor in the cost of maintenance, etc. along with the cost of acquisition.
Types of UV-Vis spectrophotometers used by survey respondents:
According to survey respondents, performance verification tests wavelength accuracy, stray light, resolution etc. are performed…
|Every six months||16%|
|After every use||3%|
Nearly 33% of respondents plan on purchasing a new UV-Vis spectrophotometer in the next year. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacing an older spectrophotometer|
|Addition to existing systems|
|Need an instrument that provides faster acquisition and analysis of data|
|Need an instrument that provides excellent reproducibility|
|Need an instrument that is simple to operate and maintain|
|Need an instrument that has a broad range of accessories|
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing a UV-VIS spectrophotometer:
|Ease of use||74%|
|Better sensitivity and resolution||72%|
|Ease of maintenance/low operating costs||68%|
|Faster acquisition and analysis of data||42%|
Completed Surveys: 285
For more information on UV-VIS spectrophotometers, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/uv-vis