Top 5 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a UV-VIS Spectrophotometer
- For what applications will you be using the instrument for? This will help you determine the detection range you require. Don’t forget to consider future applications that may require a broader range.
- What range of stray light performance are you comfortable with for your application and budget?
- Consider what sort of samples you’ll be working with in order to determine what absorbance range you will need in your UV-Vis spectrophotometer. For example, if it is a turbid or concentrated liquid or a solid sample that is optically thick, you may require a working absorbance range between 5 Å and 8 Å or higher.
- What level of throughput and reliability do you need?
- How much will the instrument cost? Don’t forget to factor in the cost of maintenance, etc. along with the cost of acquisition.
Types of UV-Vis spectrophotometers used by survey respondents:
|Single beam ||41% |
|Dual beam ||45% |
|Array based ||11% |
|Handheld ||3% |
According to survey respondents, performance verification tests wavelength accuracy, stray light, resolution etc. are performed…
|Annually ||36% |
|Every six months ||16% |
|Quarterly ||12% |
|Monthly ||10% |
|After every use ||3% |
|Never ||13% |
|Don't know ||11% |
Nearly 33% of respondents plan on purchasing a new UV-Vis spectrophotometer in the next year. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
| ||Replacing an older spectrophotometer || |
| ||Addition to existing systems |
| ||Need an instrument that provides faster acquisition and analysis of data |
| ||Need an instrument that provides excellent reproducibility |
| ||Need an instrument that is simple to operate and maintain |
| ||Need an instrument that has a broad range of accessories |
| ||Other |
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing a UV-VIS spectrophotometer:
|Excellent reproducibility ||82% |
|Wavelength accuracy ||75% |
|Ease of use ||74% |
|Better sensitivity and resolution ||72% |
|Ease of maintenance/low operating costs ||68% |
|Price ||54% |
|Warranties ||45% |
|Safety ||44% |
|Faster acquisition and analysis of data ||42% |
|Sample volume ||39% |
Completed Surveys: 285
For more information on UV-VIS spectrophotometers, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/uv-vis
See the most recent survey results here