Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying an HPLC System
- How flexible is the system? Can the system be optimized to meet your laboratory requirements?
- What tubes, vessels, and vials can it accommodate? Can components (such as additional detectors, valves, etc.) be upgraded in the future?
- Is the software easy to use and operate? Can a demo version be put in place to get a feel for how the software functions for your laboratory’s workflow?
- How is the system (not just components) qualified during installation to meet manufacturer performance expectations?
- Who provides the support and service for the product? Is it the manufacturer or a third party service group? If it is a third party service group, are they factory-trained?
- Finally, ask about the total cost of the purchase—not just the price of the product being installed— but the total cost of ownership, which includes price, service expectations, warranty, etc.
Types of HPLC systems used by survey respondents:
HPLC separation modes used by survey respondents:
|Size Exclusion (SEC)||8%|
|Hydrophilic Interaction (HILIC)||6%|
|Ultra-high performance (UHPLC)||6%|
|Gel Permeation (GPC)||4%|
|Gel Filtration (GFC)||4%|
Nearly 28% of respondents plan on purchasing an HPLC system in the next year. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity|
|Upgrading existing HPLC system|
|Setting up a new lab|
|Require shorter run times / increased lab throughput|
|Require more sensitivity|
|Require higher quality data|
|Trying to reduce operating costs|
|Scaling up to preparative|
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing an HPLC system
|Ease of Use||100%|
|Quality of data||100%|
|Precise and accurate flow rates||99%|
|Service and support||98%|
|Availability of supplies and accessories||96%|
Completed Surveys: 236
For more information on HPLC systems, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/HPLC-systems