Top 7 Questions You Should Ask When Buying HPLC Columns
- Based on your analyte(s), matrix, separation goals, and instrumentation, what column does the vendor recommend?
- What benefits does this column offer over your current column? Performance, lifetime, reproducibility, etc.
- How should you clean/prepare your sample prior to injection on the column?
- How do you care for the column? Conditioning, cleaning, storage, etc.
- What type of chromatographic media (fully porous, monolithic, core-shell) is going to provide the most benefit for your separation?
- Do you need a unique selectivity (HILIC, polar-end capped, etc.) to separate any very polar and/ or nonpolar components in your mixture?
- What column dimension is going to be most suitable for your loading requirement?
HPLC column sizes used by survey respondents
|Large ID (> 10 mm dia) ||4% |
|Analytical scale (~4.6 mm dia) ||66% |
|Narrow-bore (1 to 2 mm dia) ||21% |
|Capillary columns (< 0.3 mm dia) ||9% |
According to survey respondents, performance verification tests for wavelength accuracy, stray light, resolution etc. are performed…
|Reversed phase ||24% |
|Normal phase ||19% |
|Ion exchange ||12% |
|Ion chromatography ||9% |
|Hydrophilic interaction (HILIC) ||9% |
|Gel permeation (GPC) ||6% |
|Gel filtration (GFC) ||6% |
|Chiral ||4% |
|Ion exclusion ||4% |
|Affinity ||4% |
Reported HPLC column usage by survey respondents
| ||0 - 1 per month || |
| ||2-5 per month |
| ||6-10 per month |
| ||10-50 per month |
| ||50+ per month |
| ||Don’t know |
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing HPLC columns.
|Technical performance of HPLC columns (e.g. peak shape) ||93% |
|Ruggedness / Durability of HPLC columns ||90% |
|Lot-to-lot reproducibility of HPLC columns ||83% |
|Initial purchase price of column ||70% |
|Reputation of column manufacturer ||70% |
|Applications support ||65% |
|Column discount program ||61% |
|Breadth of HPLC column offering (selectivity) ||58% |
|Method validation / compliance support ||57% |
|Specials and promotions ||55% |
For more information on HPLC columns, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/hplc-columns
See the most recent survey results here