Top 7 Questions You Should Ask When Buying HPLC Columns
- Based on your analyte(s), matrix, separation goals, and instrumentation, what column does the vendor recommend?
- What benefits does this column offer over your current column? Performance, lifetime, reproducibility, etc.
- How should you clean/prepare your sample prior to injection on the column?
- How do you care for the column? Conditioning, cleaning, storage, etc.
- What type of chromatographic media (fully porous, monolithic, core-shell) is going to provide the most benefit for your separation?
- Do you need a unique selectivity (HILIC, polar-end capped, etc.) to separate any very polar and/ or nonpolar components in your mixture?
- What column dimension is going to be most suitable for your loading requirement?
HPLC column sizes used by survey respondents
|Large ID (> 10 mm dia)||4%|
|Analytical scale (~4.6 mm dia)||66%|
|Narrow-bore (1 to 2 mm dia)||21%|
|Capillary columns (< 0.3 mm dia)||9%|
According to survey respondents, performance verification tests for wavelength accuracy, stray light, resolution etc. are performed…
|Hydrophilic interaction (HILIC)||9%|
|Gel permeation (GPC)||6%|
|Gel filtration (GFC)||6%|
Reported HPLC column usage by survey respondents
|0 - 1 per month|
|2-5 per month|
|6-10 per month|
|10-50 per month|
|50+ per month|
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing HPLC columns.
|Technical performance of HPLC columns (e.g. peak shape)||93%|
|Ruggedness / Durability of HPLC columns||90%|
|Lot-to-lot reproducibility of HPLC columns||83%|
|Initial purchase price of column||70%|
|Reputation of column manufacturer||70%|
|Column discount program||61%|
|Breadth of HPLC column offering (selectivity)||58%|
|Method validation / compliance support||57%|
|Specials and promotions||55%|
For more information on HPLC columns, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/hplc-columns