Total organic carbon (TOC) analyzers are a mainstay of environmental and quality control chemistry. TOC, a crucial metric in many processes, may arise from a combination of living or dead organisms or chemical contamination. Its measurement can serve as a surrogate for more difficult measurements or a screen for further analysis.
Top 5 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a TOC Analyzer
- Is the TOC technology suitable for your specific application or water conditions? Many TOC technologies may be suitable only for waters with a narrow range of organic or inorganic contaminants.
- Are different models available to meet your current and future sampling needs (i.e. online, portable, laboratory)? Do these models use similar technology to simplify method transfer or data comparability from lab to online?
- Does the company offer the documentation and support necessary to help meet applicable industry or government regulations?
- What is the company’s level of experience supporting sales of TOC analyzers in your specific industry? Do they understand the unique challenges specific to your application?
- What type of service, applications, and technical support are available during and after the purchasing process?
Types of TOC analyzers used by survey respondents:
Methods used by survey respondents to detect CO2:
|Non-Dispersive Infrared (NDIR)||60%|
|Direct Conductometric (Non-Selective Conductometric)||21%|
|Membrane Conductometric Detection (Selective Conductometric)||17%|
Nearly 55% of respondents are engaged in purchasing a new TOC analyzer. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of an aging system|
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity|
|First time purchase|
|Setting up a new lab|
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing a TOC Analyzer:
|Accuracy and performance of results||87%|
|Ease of use||76%|
|Service and support provided by vendor||60%|
|Low maintenance costs||55%|
|Speed of analysis||53%|
|Ease of installation||48%|
|Continuous analysis and rapid display updates||47%|
|Easy access to UV lamp with diagnostics and lamp expiration alarm||47%|
|Obtain real data as it happens and react with alarms when necessary||47%|