Magnetic stirrers are a popular type of laboratory stirrer that use a rotating magnetic field to cause a stirrer bar to rotate within the solution. These stirrers are often combined with a hotplate and are ideal for small volumes of non-viscous liquids and for situations in which a reaction must take place in a closed vessel or system. The overhead stirrer, however, is more suitable for larger volumes and more viscous solutions, but can be less convenient and more time-consuming to set up.
Top 10 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Stirrer or Mixer
- What applications are you using the stirrer or mixer for? What result do you want to accomplish?
- What are the maximum volume and the maximum viscosity that you can use the stirrer for?
- Which stirring element is best suited to your application?
- What are the features and specs of the stirrers or mixers available?
- What level of accuracy does the digital speed indicator have?
- What type of motor is used in the stirrer or mixer?
- Can you determine the viscosity with the torque trend measurement?
- Have you purchased everything you need to start mixing? Sometimes stirrers and mixers are sold as kits, while sometimes all or some of the accessories must be purchased separately.
- Does the manufacturing company offer application and technical support over the phone?
- What warranty and delivery options are available? How quickly will the new purchase arrive?
Types of stirrer(s) used by survey respondents:
|Hot Plate Stirrer||83%|
Stirrer problems reported by survey respondents:
|Stirrer can't handle high viscosity fluid||45%|
|Stirrer can't handle large volumes||38%|
|Stirrer doesn't maintain speed||33%|
|Drive motor overheats||19%|
|Impeller frequently becomes jammed||12%|
Nearly 58% of respondents are engaged in purchasing a new stirrer or mixer. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of aging system|| |
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity|| |
|Setting up a new lab|| |
|First time purchase|| |
Top 10 Features/Factors Respondents Look for When Purchasing a Stirrer or Mixer:
|Durability of product||84%|
|Low maintenance - Easy to use and clean||78%|
|Value for price paid||69%|
|Reliability of vendor||52%|
|Service and support||46%|
|Reputation of vendor||41%|
For more information on stirrers and mixers, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/stirrers-mixers
See results from previous surveys: