Gas chromatography (GC) is a common technique used in analytical chemistry for separating and analyzing compounds that can be vaporized without decomposition. GC is typically used for separating the different components of a mixture, improving the purity of a particular substance, or identifying a particular compound. GC is a ubiquitous technique, and the various GC instruments available are designed to achieve every requirement of the technique.
Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a GC System
- What factors come into play when determining the GC system specifications you require in terms of cycle time, enhanced operator benefits, increased productivity, and flexibility for specific applications?
- What differentiates the vendor’s GC system from others offered, in terms of performance?
- How do you validate the specification claims presented by the vendor?
- Has the data processing software been designed for enhanced analytics, with workflow in mind and does it support critical compliance requirements?
- What are important price points to keep in mind when selecting a GC system?
- Laboratories need fast and effective services, including an effective distribution of instruments, spare parts, education, and service personnel. How does the company serve these needs worldwide?
Survey respondents reported the following problems when using their GC systems:
|Retention time shifts ||51% |
|Baseline disturbances ||46% |
|Irregular peak shapes or sizes ||40% |
|Loss of separation or resolution ||40% |
|Ghost peaks ||24% |
|Broad solvent fronts ||21% |
|Quantitation problems ||17% |
|Rapid column deterioration ||10% |
For those planning to purchase a new GC system, the primary reasons for the purchase are as follows:
|Replacement of aging system ||71% |
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity ||11% |
|Setting up a new lab ||4% |
|First time purchase ||3% |
|Other ||11% |
Factors That Would Help Users Overcome Their GC Issues:
|Improved maintenance ||59% |
|Better training ||50% |
|Newer equipment ||43% |
|Better technical support ||27% |
|Newer accessories ||23% |
Some of the most exciting applications of GC, as reported by survey respondents:
- Discovery of new proteins
- Drug testing
- Portable GC for field work
- Flavor profile investigations
- Pesticide analysis
For more information on GC systems, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/GC
See results from previous surveys: