What Do Users Look for in a pH Meter?
Find out our readers’ ten most desired features and more from our latest survey results.
The expanded features in today’s pH meters reflect the broad use of this technology. Researchers use pH meters in a wide range of research fields—including biological and chemical, agricultural and environmental, and virtually all kinds of manufacturing.
Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a pH Meter
- What type of connector does the meter use?
- Is it a BNC or DIN?
- Is it proprietary or can other manufacturers’ probes be used with it?
- What is the replacement cost for a pH electrode?
- What accessories are included with the meter?
- What is the complete cost of all accessories needed to operate the meter?
- If something goes wrong with the meter, can it be fixed locally?
- What is the general turnaround time for repair?
Types of pH meter(s) used by survey respondents:
|Benchtop - pH only||59%|
|Benchtop - multi parameter||44%|
|Portable - pH only||27%|
|Portable - multi parameter||20%|
|In-line - pH only||3%|
|In-line - multi parameter||3%|
Methods used to measure pH as reported by survey respondents:
Nearly 55% of respondents are engaged in purchasing a new pH meter. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of an aging system|| |
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity|| |
|Setting up a new lab|| |
|First time purchase|| |
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing a pH meter:
|Ease of use||77%|
|Resolution and accuracy of the meter||75%|
|Low Maintenance / Easy-to-clean||72%|
|Autocalibration with temperature compensation||66%|
|Availability of supplies and accessories||46%|
|Heavy-duty and waterproof||42%|
|Detachable Electrode Probe||42%|
|Longer-lived refillable electrode type||40%|
|Service and support||38%|
For more information on pH meters, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/ph-meters
See results from previous pH meter surveys: