The Need for Decontamination
Biological safety cabinets should be decontaminated under the following conditions:
1. Accessing the contaminated plenum, to change the filters, blowers, etc.
2. Relocation of the cabinet from one room / building to another
3. When the type of micro-organisms is drastically changed
4. After a serious spill of a dangerous micro-organism
5. When there is product contamination contributed to the cabinet
6. Periodically, especially if BSL-3 or BSL-4 organisms are being manipulated inside the cabinet