Most spills are preventable. The following are some tips that could help to prevent or minimize the magnitude of a spill:
- Place chemical containers being used in a hood or lab bench area that reduces the possibility of accidentally knocking over a container.
- Keep all unused reagents in thier appropriate storage area and keep your work area clean of needles equipment and clutter.
- Plan your movements. Look where you are reaching to ensure you will not cause a spill.
- Avoid transporting chemicals from the stockroom during periods of high traffic in hallways.
- Transport chemical containers in a chemical carrier or cart.
- Place absorbent plastic-backed liners on benchtops or in fume hoods where spills can be anticipated. For volumes of liquid larger than what can be absorbed by liners, use trays.