Cell culture incubators, or carbon dioxide (CO2) incubators, are designed to mimic a cell’s natural environment with a relative humidity around 95 percent and temperature of 37°C. The CO2 concentration, about 5%, is controlled to match physiologic conditions and maintain a constant pH of 7.2 to 7.5.
Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a CO2 Incubator:
- What measures have been taken in the design to avoid contamination and what feature are included to remove (sterilize versus decon) contamination?
- How does the CO2 sensor contribute to optimal cell growth?
- How does the humidity contribute to optimal cell growth?
- Ask for the uniformity and accuracy data versus asking for a water jacket or air jacket.
- Do you need O2 control to simulate the environment for your experiment accurately?
- Calculate the total cost of ownership on the product over one year including product price, install, regular cleaning labor, material like HEPA filter, etc.
|Top ten factors/features that influence our readers when buying a CO2 incubator:|
|Low maintenance/easy to clean||98%|
|Stable CO2 control||98%|
|Value for price paid||98%|
|Performance of product||96%|
|Ease of use||94%|
|Audible & visible temperature alarms||93%|
|Service and support||93%|
|Minimal temperature control||91%|
|Safety and health features||91%|
|Types of CO2 incubators being used in our readers’ labs:|
|Incubator components currently being used by our respondents:|
|High temperature disinfection||20%|
|Infrared CO2 control||17%|
|Most common incubator operation issues being experienced by our readers:|
|Presence of contamination in the unit||23%|
|CO2 level is unstable||21%|
|Most common maintenance checks being performed by our respondents:|
|CO2 tank regulator pressure gauge inspection||72%|
|Humidity pan/pan level check||71%|
|Temperature display check with internal thermometer||71%|
|Interior disinfection and removable parts autoclaved||62%|
|CO2 inspection with an independent analyzer||52%|
|CO2 regulator and gas lines leak check||50%|
|CO2 and temperature calibrated using factory procedures||35%|
|Filter discoloration/replacement check||28%|
|Power cord wear inspection||27%|
|Proper CO2 tank switcher operation inspection||25%|
|Air flow and fan blade rotation/discoloration inspection||18%|
For more information on CO2 Incubators, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/incubators
Like this article? Click here to subscribe to free newsletters from Lab Manager