Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Microplate Handler
- How many plates and plate types can the handler accommodate? An ANSI-compatible handler provides increased flexibility for those using multiple plate densities (ex. 96-, 384-, 1536-well) or low-volume plates, and interchangeable plate stacks accommodate varying throughput requirements.
- What is the transfer speed? Transfer speed is especially important for increased throughput. Adding a dual plate carrier keeps two plates in process, thus further increasing assay efficiency.
- Can the handler operate in portrait and landscape configurations? A rotational gripper option optimizes positioning of the microplate handler with its mating instrument, thus improving flexibility and efficient operation.
- Does the handler fit into a hood or biosafety cabinet? Placing a microplate handler within a hood or biosafety cabinet allows users to maintain personal safety and protect samples.
- Is the handler compatible with a wide variety of other instruments?
- Does it come with a barcode reader for easy microplate identification? Barcode scanning is especially useful for increased throughput.
Types of microplate handler(s) used by survey respondents:
Top 5 microplate handler applications as reported by survey respondents:
|Clinical / diagnostics||23%|
|Pharmaceutical / medicine||18%|
Nearly 31% of respondents plan on purchasing a microplate handler in the next year. The budgets for these purchases are as follows:
|Less than $1,000||
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing a microplate handler:
|Durability of Product||88%|
|Performance of product||85%|
|Availability of supplies and accessories||77%|
|Low operating costs||77%|
|Value for price paid||77%|
|Service and support||62%|
|Ease of use||58%|
|Low maintenance/Easy to clean||54%|
For more information on microplate handlers, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/microplate-tech
Like this article? Click here to subscribe to free newsletters from Lab Manager