This webinar will cover how to get ready for a lab safety inspection. The program will focus on the most important areas scrutinized by inspectors. The regulatory requirements contained in the OSHA Lab Standard and Hazard Communication Standard will be touched on for completeness. Participants will learn to think like an inspector and see what they see. It will walk you through a virtual inspection beginning with the opening conference and ending with the exit interviews.
Before Any Inspection Do Your Homework: OSHA Lab and Hazard Communication Standards
- Chemical Hygiene Plan and CHO duties and responsibilities
- Chemical inventory
- Safety Data Sheets
- Standard Operation Procedures (SOP)
- Training: lab hazards present, proper PPE
See the Big Picture - General Lab Safety Equipment and Facilities
- Proper use of chemical fume hoods
- Eye wash and safety showers
- Fire safety: extinguishers, sprinklers, flammables
- Electrical safety: circuit breakers, GFCI, extension cords etc.
- Specialized equipment
- Spill kits and first aid kits
Protect Your People – PPE
- Basic PPE for any lab
- What special PPE is needed? Respirators, hearing protection etc.
- Have job or process hazard analyses been done?
- Is your housekeeping in order?
Safe Storage and Use of Hazardous Materials
- Chemical compatibility and segregation
- Storage tips for general chemicals and high hazard materials
- Flammable storage
- Compressed gases
- Waste collection and disposal
- DEA controlled substances
- Homeland Security select agents
- Biological materials and blood-borne pathogens
- Radioactive materials
- How to handle the exit interview
- Performing regular in-house safety inspections
- Documentation and record-keeping