OKINAWA, JAPAN and NEW YORK, NY — The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) and the OIST Foundation are launching the Ukraine Scholar and Student Support Fund. This emergency fund will enable OIST to host scientists, both scholars and students, from Ukraine on a temporary and humanitarian basis, as well as support Ukrainian students and staff already at OIST.
The Fund will support programs and initiatives such as:
- Costs associated with bringing Ukrainian refugee scholars and students to OIST on a temporary and humanitarian basis.
- Costs to host scholars and students and their families at OIST.
- Mental health-related services.
- Emergency support for Ukrainian students and scholars at OIST.
- Critical support to assist the OIST community with the situation in Ukraine, including workshops and training programs.
- Support needed for OIST scientists to help Ukraine rebuild its scientific and academic institutions, as called for by the National Academy of Sciences.
OIST President and CEO, Peter Gruss commented on the crisis in Ukraine, “Science is global, and in these [distressing] times, standing together as one scientific community is more important than ever. As a proud member of our international community, I recognize our responsibly to support our diverse community members and partners around the world.”
- This press release was originally published on the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University website