The former provide an economy of scale and are popular with lab workers who, almost universally, hate to “wash the dishes.” The downside for central washing stations is that glassware tends to disappear over time, due to breakage and operator error.
Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Glassware Washer
- How is the product manufactured? Ask about the quality of the materials used and the product life expectation based on manufacturing testing. Also find out about the product’s warranty.
- What differentiates the lab washer from others offered in terms of performance?
- Does the company offer application support and technical phone support before and after product installation?
- How sustainable is the product? Ask the company to provide details on energy and water consumption as well as the recycle ability of the product.
- If the product is discontinued, for how many years does the company provide accessories and parts for the washer?
- Finally, ask about the cost of the purchase—not just the price of the product being installed but the total cost of ownership, which includes price, service expectations, warranty, etc.
Types of lab glassware washers used by survey respondents:
|Medium Capacity Washer||54%|
|Small Capacity Washer||31%|
|High Throughput Washer||13%|
|Large Capacity Washer||9%|
Frequency of lab glassware washer use as reported by survey respondents:
|Several time daily||33%|
|Several times each week||29%|
|Once a day||19%|
|Once a week||9%|
|Two to three times a month||4%|
|Less than once a month||4%|
|Once a month||1%|
Nearly 30% of respondents are engaged in purchasing a new glassware washer. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of an aging system||
|First time purchase||
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity||
|Setting up a new lab||
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing a glassware washer:
|Consistent washing and disinfection results||83%|
|Durability of product||82%|
|Low maintenance - Easy to use and clean||78%|
|Energy efficient/low operating cost||44%|
|Ability to customize racks||41%|
|Ease of installation||36%|
|Past experience with vendor||19%|
|Recommendation from colleagues/peers||14%|
|Currently using vendors product||8%|
For more information on laboratory glassware washers, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/washers
Like this article? Click here to subscribe to free newsletters from Lab Manager