Lab Manager | Run Your Lab Like a Business


Jungle path in Nepal

UNESCO Champions Environmental Education, Scientific Advancement at COP27

The 2022 Conference of the Parties of the UNFCCC will see a host of initiatives by UNESCO

Holden Galusha

Holden Galusha is the associate editor for Lab Manager. He was a freelance contributing writer for Lab Manager before being invited to join the team full-time. Previously, he was the...

ViewFull Profile.
Learn about ourEditorial Policies.
Register for free to listen to this article
Listen with Speechify

The 27th annual Conference of the Parties of the UNFCCC, or COP27, began November 6 and is being held until November 18 in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt. Each year, scientists, activists, and world leaders from around the globe gather to take action on the environmental commitments made by each nation’s representatives, furthering the planet’s collective climate goals. This year, the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) will be highlighting three key issues: protecting biodiversity, cultivating a better relationship with nature, and supporting scientific efforts to find solutions to current environmental challenges.

Protecting biodiversity

UNESCO calls for a global shift in the values and behaviors of the world’s inhabitants toward nature. While many nations have pledged to establish protected areas on 30 percent of the planet by 2030, UNESCO maintains that this number is “meaningless if humans continue to destroy in the remaining 70 percent.” To address this, UNESCO will be leveraging its resources to push training and education initiatives that, ideally, will equip people to live in harmony with nature and minimize actions that further harm the environment.

Get training in Materials and Substance Tracking and earn CEUs.One of over 25 IACET-accredited courses in the Academy.
Materials and Substance Tracking Course

Cultivating a better relationship with nature

Along with advocating for training and educational programs, UNESCO also seeks to help pioneer “new ways to coexist with nature, designing more sustainable uses of biodiversity, and new models of production and consumption.” Existing UNESCO designated sites will serve as prime examples of alternative ways of life that are more friendly to wildlife and nature in general.

Advancing knowledge

As the UN’s scientific branch, UNESCO prioritizes research and the exchange of scientific knowledge between nations to foster innovation. According to UNESCO, they will be using their “designated sites and programs as a springboard to share solutions on sustainable use and conservation, based on scientific evidence as well as on local values and knowledge, to transmit to young people as drivers for change.”

UNESCO’s three-pronged approach to combating climate change will, ideally, spur leaders and citizens alike to adopt more environmentally-friendly mindsets and follow the principles of open science to collaboratively address environmental threats at a large scale.