Moisture affects nearly everything on earth. Whether from rain, leaks, humidity, or exposure, moisture can have a detrimental impact on samples. In addition to leading to mildew or mold, unwanted moisture can have critical impact on chemical and physical properties of a sample such as amalgamation, cohesion, and adhesion. For these reasons and more, it is essential to be able to accurately determine the moisture content of samples. This is done with a moisture analyzer, an instrument that is ubiquitous in laboratories.
Moisture analysis is a process performed in a wide variety of laboratory and industrial applications. While laboratories rely on these processes to inspect and study samples, many manufacturers use them to ensure product quality and meet standards. Batteries are a good example of a product where moisture content must be closely monitored. Many other product manufacturers and packagers also practice moisture analysis, including food, pharmaceuticals, and pulp and paper industries, to name just a few.
When used properly, an electronic moisture analyzer has many benefits. They are faster and can be more accurate than conventional methods. However, improper setup and usage can lead to inaccurate and untrustworthy results.
Moisture measurement must be done optimally. Improper moisture measurement can result in inaccurate and untrustworthy results, low repeatability, or a high variance in measurement results (low precision). Using low-quality instruments or not taking proper steps to prepare your workspace or samples can have negative consequences.
THE RIGHT INSTRUMENTS AND THE RIGHT METHODS
To ensure accurate moisture measurement, it’s important to select a high-quality moisture analyzer that can produce precise and repeatable results with low variance in measurements. Here are some tips for optimal moisture analysis:
- Choose a device from a reputable dealer that is well made and thoughtfully designed. The OHAUS MB120 Moisture Analyzer. Each individual OHAUS unit is individually tested and compensated during the production process for quality assurance.
- Don’t rush the process and follow the proper method. OHAUS MB120 includes SmartGuide™ to help with advanced method parameters like configurable shut off criteria and various heating profiles.
- Ensure proper sample preparation. Rely on OHAUS expertise and follow our Moisture Guide and numerous educational articles on the topic.
- Be mindful of setup and maintenance. The OHAUS MB120 comes equipped with security features like user management and password protected lockout. It’s also easy to clean and setup is intuitive.
THE OHAUS MB120 MOISTURE ANALYZER WITH SMARTGUIDE
Using the OHAUS MB120 and following our recommended guidelines will help you avoid the pitfalls of moisture analysis.
The MB120 is the flagship moisture analyzer from OHAUS. The intuitive design makes it easy to setup, use, and clean. MB120 is equipped to handle routine and complex measurements faster, easier, and more efficiently.
Fast, reliable results allow you to test more samples in less time by providing you with a sophisticated user experience. The MB120 features a large memory capacity for data recall and the ability to support customizable sample testing.
Standout features include:
- Halogen heating system with customizable shutoff criteria and four built-in drying profiles.
- SmartGuide, our proprietary feature, automatically analyzes a sample and creates a method.
- Memory storage of up to 100 methods and 1,000 measurement results. Stored results can be exported and shared across multiple devices.
To learn more, visit: https://us.ohaus.com/en-US/MB120