7 Questions to Ask When Buying a Cold Storage Unit
Cold storage solutions are some of the most important pieces of equipment in your lab as they keep your valuable samples and reagents safe. When purchasing cold storage solutions, it’s not only important to consider the reliability of the equipment, but also the energy efficiency as freezers and fridges can be large energy sinks in laboratories. The right equipment will have enough space for your samples while providing you with peace of mind.
- How accurate and stable is the temperature inside the cold storage solution?
- What storage capacity will you need now and in the future?
- How does the cold storage solution maximize its internal storage space?
- What features are available to improve the energy efficiency of the equipment?
- What back-ups are available in case of power failure?
- How long does it take for the temperature to recover after a door opening?
- Does the equipment have a remote monitoring sensor built in?
When you plan to store your life’s work in an ultra-low temperature freezer, your priorities must extend beyond purchase price and energy consumption. Join lab manager LINDA and her team as they discuss tips for purchasing the best ultra-low freezer for your lab.
After buying a new cold storage solution, implementing a sample management system can help you locate and keep track of your samples. Knowing exactly where your samples are kept will decrease the amount of time your staff spends searching for them. Using software programs like laboratory information management systems can facilitate this process.