Top 5 Questions You Should Ask When Buying an Evaporator
- What are your sample sizes? Microtiter plates and micro centrifuge tubes work best in a centrifugal vacuum concentrator. For large samples up to 450mls, a vortex evaporator is recommended.
- What are your samples? Acids require an acid resistant system. Solvents damage plastic and rubber components; an appropriate system to prevent damage is recommended. A -50°C cold trap is ideal for aqueous based samples, a -85°C cold trap traps most solvents and a -105°C cold trap is recommended for alcohols.
- Are your samples heat sensitive? Even at ambient set point, vacuum concentrators add heat through friction. A concentrator that has refrigeration built into it will give you the temperature control recommended to maintain the viability of heat liable samples.
- Do you have limited space? A floor model with casters or small all-in-one benchtop model can be moved out of the way when not in use.
- Do you prefer vacuum evaporation or nitrogen blow down? Some samples require evaporation under nitrogen (which is more gentle) for volatile solvents.
Types of laboratory evaporators used by survey respondents:
|Nitrogen blowndown evaporator||23%|
|Vacuum system evaporator||42%|
Primary purpose of evaporator as reported by survey respondents:
|Concentration of substances||67%|
|Distilling of low-boiling solvents||23%|
|Distilling of temperature-sensitive substances under vacuum||16%|
|Recycling of solvent waste||12%|
|Distilling of oxygen-sensitive substances under inert gas||2%|
|Chemical synthesis under reflux||2%|
Nearly 47% of respondents are engaged in purchasing a new evaporator. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of aging system|| |
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity|| |
|Setting up a new lab|| |
|First time purchase|| |
Top 10 Features/Factors Respondents Look for When Purchasing Evaporator:
|Ease of use||65%|
|Low maintenance / easy to clean||65%|
|Low operating cost of ownership||48%|
|Ease of installation||44%|
|Fully integrated - The evaporator, the vaccuum pump, the vacuum controller, and the recirculating chiller||40%|
|Built-in vacuum controller||39%|
|Service and support||37%|
For more information on evaporators, including useful articles and a list of manufacturers, visit www.labmanager.com/evaporators