Whether to employ central washing stations or point-of-use washers located under a lab bench or in a corner is something that has to be addressed with regards to laboratory glassware washers. The former provide an economy of scale and are popular with lab workers who, almost universally, hate to “wash the dishes.” The downside for central washing stations is that glassware tends to disappear over time, due to breakage, and operator error.
Top 6 Questions You Should Ask When Buying a Glassware Washer
- How is the product manufactured? Ask about the quality of the materials used and the product life expectation based on manufacturing testing. Also find out about the product’s warranty.
- What differentiates the lab washer from others offered in terms of performance?
- Does the company offer application support and technical phone support before and after product installation?
- How sustainable is the product? Ask the company to provide details on energy and water consumption as well as the recycle ability of the product.
- If the product is discontinued, for how many years does the company provide accessories and parts for the washer?
- Finally, ask about the cost of the purchase—not just the price of the product being installed but the total cost of ownership, which includes price, service expectations, warranty, etc.
Types of lab glassware washers used by survey respondents:
|Medium Capacity Washer||57%|
|Small Capacity Washer||27%|
|Large Capacity Washer||9%|
|High Throughput Washer||4%|
Frequency of lab glassware washer use as reported by survey respondents:
|Several time daily||32%|
|Several times each week||31%|
|Once a day||20%|
|Once a week||11%|
|Less than once a month||7%|
|Two to three times a month||3%|
|Once a month||3%|
Nearly 31% of respondents are engaged in purchasing a new glassware washer. The reasons for these purchases are as follows:
|Replacement of an aging system|
|Addition to existing systems, increase capacity|
|Setting up a new lab|
|First time purchase|
Top 10 features/factors respondents look for when purchasing a glassware washer:
|Consistent washing and disinfection results||84%|
|Durability of product||81%|
|Low maintenance - Easy to use and clean||76%|
|Service and support||67%|
|Reliability of vendor||62%|
|Reputation of vendor||51%|
|Energy efficient/low operating cost||46%|